Terms and Conditions of Participation
These terms and conditions of participation ("these Terms") govern your participation in the DofE Diamond Challenge 2016.
- In these Terms, the following words have the following meanings:
"Challenge" – the DofE Diamond Challenge 2016, a fundraising initiative organised by the DofE and to be held during 2016 to celebrate the DoE's diamond anniversary year;
"Challenge Activity" – an activity a Challenger organises as part of the Challenge for the purpose of raising funds for the DofE;
"Challenger" – a person who has registered with the DoE to take part in the Challenge;
"Diamond Challenge Website" – the website www.DofEDiamondChallenge.org;
"Diamond Challenger Kit" – the registration pack that will be sent to any individual who registers to become a Challenger via the registration form at www.DofEDiamondChallenge.org, and which includes the supply of a Challenger T-shirt and information about how to organise your challenge;
"DofE" – the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award, a UK registered charity with charity number 1072490 and company number 3665815, whose registered office is at Gulliver House, Madeira Walk, Windsor, Berkshire SL4 1EU.
References to "us", "our" or "we" shall be construed as references to the DofE.
- Your registration for the Challenge indicates your agreement to these Terms. We may change these Terms from time to time, so please check back regularly to ensure you understand the legal terms that apply to you at the time. Your continued participation in the Challenge indicates your acceptance of these Terms.
- Participation in the Challenge is open to anyone aged 18 or over, or with permission from a parent or guardian if under 18 years of age.
- Registration for the Challenge is via the Diamond Challenge Website.
- Registration opens on Tuesday 29 September 2015 and closes at 11.59pm on 31 Dec 2016 and is only valid for the Challenge. The DofE reserves the right to suspend or close registration at any time for any reason at its absolute discretion.
- All Challengers must register for the Challenge in their own name, using their own valid email and postal address.
- A registration fee of £20 per adult or £15 for under 18s is payable in order to complete your registration. After you submit your registration form and pay your registration fee we will confirm our acceptance of your registration by sending you an email which confirms your place as a Challenger (the "Confirmation Email").
- As a consumer, you have a right to cancel your registration and receive a refund of your registration fee if you inform us of your intention to terminate within 14 days from the date you receive the Diamond Challenge Kit. Please see clause 26 for more details. Please note there is no obligation on anyone who registers to actually take part in the Challenge, but you will only receive a refund of your registration fee if you cancel before the end of this 14 day period.
Diamond Challenge Kit
- If you are registering for the Challenge before 1 December 2015 your Diamond Challenger Kit will normally be dispatched by 20 December 2015.
- If you are registering for the Challenge from 1 December 2015 onwards you Diamond Challenger Kit will normally be dispatched within 21 working days of registration. Please note that if you are ordering from outside the UK, your Challenger Kits may take more than 21 days to arrive.
- We are unable to exchange t-shirts so you are advised to use the sizing guide when selecting your t-shirt size.
- Only one Challenger Kit is available per registered Challenger. Requests for additional Challenger Kits cannot be fulfilled.
- The DofE is not responsible for organising, approving, supervising or hosting your Challenge activity. All activities, and participation in them, are at the organiser’s and/or Challengers’ own risk.
- So far as permitted by law, the DofE shall not be liable for any injury or loss which might occur as a result of an individual's participation in the Challenge or that of any guests at the Challenge Activity.
Organising the Challenge Activity
- All Challengers undertake their Challenge Activity entirely at their own risk.
- Your Challenge Activity should not pose a danger to you, any other Challengers and/or team members, or any onlookers. You will therefore take all reasonable precautions to protect the health and safety of all those participating in, involved with or attending your activity.
- You will be responsible for any costs, taxes or expenses incurred or arising in connection with your Challenge Activity.
- You will comply with any applicable laws and regulations relating to your Challenge Activity, including obtaining any necessary licenses, consents or permissions e.g. if you are holding a raffle or lottery, or are proposing to sell alcohol.
- You acknowledge and accept that the DofE’s insurance policy will not cover your Challenge Activity.
Fundraising from the Challenge
- You agree that any fundraising undertaken through the Challenge is undertaken as an independent supporter of the DofE. You should therefore refer to raising money “in aid of” DofE, rather than on DofE’s behalf.
- You agree that you shall comply with any instructions or guidance provided by DofE relating to your Challenge Activity. Follow this link to view our Best Practice guidelines document.
- You will not do anything that threatens the DofE’s reputation or name. If you do, the DofE has the right to ask you to stop your Challenge Activity and/or any associated fundraising immediately. Any funds already raised by you in connection with your Challenge Activity prior to this point shall still be owing to the DofE and must unless otherwise directed be paid to the DofE in accordance with these Terms.
- You agree to pay all of the proceeds raised by your fundraising activity to the DofE as soon as possible after your Challenge Activity, and in accordance with the DofE’s instructions.
- You agree to encourage donors and/or sponsors to make gift aid declarations where eligible, which may enable us to recover basic rate tax on such donations. Further information about the Gift Aid scheme can be found on our website at http://www.dofe.org/go/giftaid/
- All monies raised in connection with the Challenge will be held on trust for the DofE and Challengers have a legal responsibility to ensure that all donations received in connection with the Challenge are paid to the DofE. All donations paid to the DofE are non-refundable. We ask that you deposit all fundraising monies and donations collected via the JustGiving Page which you established as part of the registration process.
- Challengers and their donors can elect to claim Gift Aid when submitting fundraising monies and donations online to JustGiving. However, Challengers who are planning to pay monies into their JustGiving fundraising page on behalf of others (i.e. cash fundraising collected at any fundraising event) should note that this is not eligible for Gift Aid. For further information please refer to the HMRC Gift Aid website http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/individuals/giving/gift-aid.htm.
Use of personal data
- If you provide photographs or videos taken during your fundraising activity for the DofE, you agree that these may be used by the DofE for commercial and/or fundraising purposes. [By sending these to us, you are also confirming that anyone featuring prominently in the photograph or video is aged 16 or over, and that they have consented to their image being used in this way.]
- We only use your personal information in accordance with our privacy statement, accessible here: http://www.dofe.org/en/content/cms/legal/privacy/. Please read it carefully as it includes important terms which apply to you.
- By signing up to the Challenge you are confirming that you are happy to receive emailed communication relating to the DofE Diamond Challenge. You can unsubscribe to this at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of the page.
Cancellation of Registration
- Your legal right to cancel your registration starts from the date of the Email Confirmation and ends the date 14 days after the day on which you receive the Diamond Challenger Kit.
- To cancel your registration, you just need to let us know that you have decided to cancel. The easiest way to do this is to complete the cancellation form accessible [here]. We will email you to confirm we have received your cancellation.
- If you cancel your registration we will refund you the registration fee as soon as possible. We will refund you on the credit card or debit card used by you to pay.
- If the Diamond Challenger Kit has been delivered to you before you decide to cancel your registration then you must return it to us (to 11 Belgrave Road, London SW1V 1RB) without undue delay and in any event not later than 14 days after the day on which you let us know that you wish to cancel your registration.
Use of the Diamond Challenge Website
- The DofE owns or licenses from third parties all of the trade marks, copyright and other intellectual property contained on the Diamond Challenge Website. You must not copy or reproduce in any form any of the graphics, logos or other material from the Diamond Challenge Website unless you have our specific permission. For the avoidance of doubt [(but subject always to our website terms and conditions)] you have our permission to download material from the Diamond Challenge Website pages, found at www.dofediamondchallenge.org/resources.
- The DofE takes great care with its websites, including the Diamond Challenge Website, and we endeavour to keep them accurate, error-free, and free of any offensive material. However, you use the Diamond Challenge Website at your own risk and, so far as permitted by law, the DofE will not be liable for any costs or losses you incur through your use of the Diamond Challenge Website. Whilst we may include links to third party websites or resources, the DofE is not responsible for such third parties and you use those websites or resources at your own risk.
- If you have any queries or complaints please contact http://www.DofE.org/feedback
- These Terms are governed by English law. You and we both agree that the courts of England and Wales have non-exclusive jurisdiction over any dispute or claim arising under the Terms.